It has become common these days to hear one declaring the other as Hypocrite (Munafiq) and a certain deed hypocrisy (Nifq). Often times it is used as a tool to silence those who disagree with one’s ideas … no matter how trivial that maybe. As a comprehensive code of life, Islam is clear on the term itself, its use, to whom it should be used and who may invoke it. In fact ,the Quran has given the issue a great position when it holds a chapter with the title: Al-Munafiqun, the Hypocrites (the 63rd sura of the Qur’an with its 11 ayat).
Learnt men of all times have also warned their folk to take the maximum pre-caution and never to be tempted by whatever reason to use it carelessly. As the Hypocrites are the worst enemies of true believers and the religion, believers are provided with the common feature a likely hypocrite exhibits. This might help us take an immediate corrective action (Tawuba) if one or more of those listed are part of our personality. It is equally important so that we protect ourselves from their evil schemes.
Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘The signs of a Munaafiq are three; When he speaks, he lies; When he disputes, he is vulgar; and When he makes a promise, he breaks it.’ (Mishkaat). Please read below for more of the characteristics of the Munafiqun.
The Characters of the Munafiqs
Hypocrisy is a state of the heart, which is expressed by double-faced actions.
1. They have a discrepancy in what they have in their heart & what is on their lips
2. Munafiq means “double faced”
3. They hide the truth
4. They are untruthful to others (Momins) and to themselves
5. They create fasaad, by saying one thing to one person and another to another person, neither of them being the truth
6. When they are questioned about their actions that are causing fasaad they say we are just reforming society/people, we are doing this for the good of society.
7. When they are asked to believe, have emaan, they say, “Do I look stupid”?
8. In front of the momin they say they are with them, but when they are with the Shaiyateen (with people like themselves or their leaders), they say we were just joking privately, we are not really with the Momins.
9. Their words and actions do not match 10. The are without wisdom and without understanding of reality and truth (Shaoor)
11. Hypocrites are present in all times
12. Though hypocrites say verbally that they believe in God, Allah disqualifies their emaan as they are only saying it only with their tongue, and not with their hearts they do this only to fool others.
13. In their privacy they make fun of the Momin
14. They prefer to keep their eyes closed rather than see the truth and see the right path.
15. Allah has given them rope to do what they want and they choose to stray further and further away form the right path.
16. They are restless and without peace even in this world and try to entertain themselves with worldly things
17. They live in a world of self deception
18. Due to their actions they create fasaad in the world and do not have the understanding that their words and actions are the cause of the fasaad. 19. When they are asked to have emaan they say are we stupid that we become stupid like the momin who loose everything (worldly) because of their emaan.
SUMMARY OF CHARACTERISTICS OF A MUNAFIQ
1. DOUBLE FACED
2. IN TWO BOATS
3. THEIR ACTIONS DO NOT CONFIRM WHAT THEY SAY
4. THEY FOOL PEOPLE
5. THEY PRACTICE SELF DECEEPTION
6. THEY LIE
7. LACK UNDERSTANDING OF THE TRUTH
8. CREATE FASSAAD BEHIND REFORM
9. THEY DO NOT HAVE A CONSCIENCE
10. THEY ARE STUPID
11. THEY ARE IGNORANT
12. DOUBLE STANDARD
13. IBNAL WAQT
14. CHANGE WITH WHOEVER THEY ARE WITH
15. TRY TO PLEASE EVERYONE
16. THEY MAKE FUN OF MOMINS (PRIVATELY)
17. BAY ASOOL (WITHOUT STANDARDS OF HONESTY & MORALS)
18. THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE TIME ALLAH SWT HAS GIVEN THEM AND ARE MISUSING IT
19. BEY BASEERAT/THEY WANT TO LIVE IN IGNORANCE
20. THEY CHOOSE GUMRAHI(BEING LOST) INSTEAD OF GUIDANCE
21. THEY DELIBERATELY REMAIN AWAY FROM GUIDANCE
One word summary: They lie! They lie! They lie! They lie!
PUNISHMENT FROM ALLAH FOR MUNAFIQS
1. Allah will make fun of them
2. Blindness of the heart: Allah has given them rope, (leave) and they are taking advantage of it and their hearts are blinded and they are straying further in their wrong path, and Allah is watching them
3. Allah will deny them guidance (al Hudda) They have exchanged the right path for the wrong path, this will be a huge disadvantageous for them. They are unable to get guidance as they are not asking for it, nor wanting it.
4. There are seven levels of Hellfire and They will b e in the bottom most part of the hellfire. why ? because they base their life on lies, 5. Those who have the characteristics of hypocrisy Allah will not give them guidance.
Hadith Sahih Bukhari How to recognize a hypocrite: four characteristics
1. When given a trust he betrays it.
2. When he speaks he lies
3. When he promises he breaks it
4. When he argues he is unjust
5. Irrespective of whether he prays, fasts and claims that he is a muslim then he or she is a pure munafiq
Steps To get out of Hypocrisy (surah Nisa) and join the momins;
Strong connection with Allah
Make ones deen khalis (do the good works for Allah and not to show people)
Be thankful of every Naimah with kasarat
Decrease complaints of what we did not get in this world